Monday, November 12, 2007

It's crazy out there.


I have a saying:

"Photographers are crazy when they are not busy because they realize they may never work again. Still, the overhead goes on and on. They are also crazy when they are busy because clients can be demanding and the schedules can be grueling". Therefore it seems, commercial photographers are just crazy!

I got up this morning looking forward to a fairly easy day. I knew I would meet with my master's degree independent study student at 2 PM, and teach 62 miles away at 6 PM, but that until 2:00 I could just relax.

Then my beloved (yes) client called. All of a sudden I needed to retouch 13 images to match marketing's desires, and then print them. That would be easy except that I am not a match printer. I'm a sort of close-to accurate printer. Still, I had to skip my meeting with my master's student (sorry Mark), work like a crazy retoucher, make the files ready for the printer, and then just make it to Fed-Ex and finally to college. Whew!

In only one day I went from crazy slow to crazy busy.

My client, unless she happens to read this, will never know. I guess that's why people don't necessarily think of commercial photographers as crazy. Our families know but our clients, if we do it right, never will. Still, I would never trade this life for anything.

(Does anyone reading this realize that the yellow things in the shot are 8X10 film boxes?)

No comments: