Wednesday, June 18, 2014

How else are you going to learn?

I left RIT with a 4 year degree in photography and headed down to NYC. My great friend (to this day) Mark K. told me that he would get me work when I got there and he did! I began working as a 3rd (4th?) assistant. College was not a great help in NYC studios and I began to get my true schooling at the hands of photographers like Joe Toto. That's Joe sitting in as model on one of his own Ragu shoots. See the beautiful Rembrandt lighting? That was Joe all the way. 
I currently teach studio photography at WPUNJ. One of the lighting styles that I teach is Joe Toto's Rembrandt portrait lighting. I also teach Jimmy Moore's beautiful Umbrella Beauty lighting (although I miss his Huge Ascor strobe and Sun Gun head). 
The fact is that even now in 2014, I still teach my students not to become photographers (though some do) but to become photo assistants. That's where the real learning comes from. 

No comments: