Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Nabisco

I was spoiled rotten the 15 years I worked for Nabisco as a senior photographer. I had a great boss (Jim Gilmour) who would actually slap my hand (gently) as I reached in to do something in Photoshop instead of telling him what I was doing. We shot everything from 35mm Nikons to 8X10 Sinars until 1994 when I was handed an Apple 8100 Power PC and a Lead DCBII. By 1997 we had left film far behind. This was my studio. You have to realize that the Nabisco rules stated "no personal artwork on the walls" No one ever corrected me. I wore cowboy boots which were not allowed but no one ever corrected me. I was adored by my clients so I played any music they liked on a big stereo (also not allowed). I even kept my own studio going and I would shoot some in the Nabisco studio at night and on the weekends. It was great until Kraft took over. Then independence was considered anti-"process" and I had many black marks on my record. Sometimes you just live your life and don't realize how good things are until they're gone.

No comments: