Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Poor, poor Abaco


Mark and I were assistants for Denny Tilman way back in the mid-70's. The location was Abaco Bahamas. My job was to be in the water keeping the boat steady and helping the models get onto the plexiglass table so it looked like they were walking on the water. I recall diving off the boat into a school of barracuda. I got back in the boat quickly. The truth is: Mark and I spent the days helping Denny and the night drinking way too much. I even drove a golf cart into a swimming pool. I loved being an assistant. I loaded film, built sets, printed in non ventilated darkrooms. Mark and I have way too many stories from those days. I have a BS degree in commercial photography but I really learned my craft as an assistant for major photographers in NYC.

No comments: