Friday, July 13, 2012

Mirrored Aviator Glasses

Well, as I wrote before, I hit NYC in the mid 70's. I had many patient friends there but that only went so far. I was basically an upstate boy transplanted to the big city and I was more than willing to stop and talk to each and every Moonie, Scientologist or homeless person that would stop me. This would greatly slow the progress of our group and they soon grew tired of me being left behind. I really had no idea why everybody would pick me to pour their lives out to. A friend suggested that perhaps the fact that I looked people in the eye was the key to my "popularity". Apparently, New Yorkers look straight ahead, not right or left and certainly not in anyone else's eyes. My friend was proven to be correct and this was shown to be true after I purchased a pair of "70's correct" mirrored aviator sunglasses. I slipped those babies on and low & behold, no stranger ever again stopped me to talk. The sad thing is, that after a year or so, I didn't really need the sunglasses anymore. I had become a true New Yorker and could walk down the street intent upon my destination, looking no one in the eye.........

No comments: