Friday, July 6, 2012

NYC Photo District 1975

Does anybody remember NYC in the 1970's?
The Belmore Cafeteria was on the East side of Park Avenue South. It was an automat and close to my studios. It was a favorite of the taxi drivers which is probably why it was the real star in the movie of the same name...
How about Chock full o Nuts? They used to be on almost every corner that wasn't taken up by a DuaneReede.
The Starbuck's of it's day, it offered better meals as well as great coffee. 
Eisenberg's was right around the corner from most of my studios.   I would enter, find a seat and be greeted with "Michael, where have you been?" Strangely my name is Bill but I never told the very old waiter in case he though I was a long lost relative...
Finally there is Pete's Tavern. The last two images seem to be recent so I guess they are still around. I remember Pete's Tavern mostly because one of Jimmy Moore's girlfriends (before he was married) lived above and I painted her apartment once. Isn't an assistant's life grand?
That's a little dose of NYC from 40 years ago.

No comments: